Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's Always Funny (Life, that is...)

Lately, I've been getting my daily dose of music geekdom by reading a blog called 300 Songs: A Song by Song History of Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven, published by David Lowery. I like "behind the music"-type info, but I don't usually like "this is what the song is about"-type info; I prefer the mystery and mystique that lets me paint my own picture of what a song means. Lowery has struck a nice balance between the two. It doesn't hurt that his lyrics are superbly crafted in a way that lets you have your own interpretation even when you have the background story. Plus, his prose writing is quite good (even if he did unfriend me on Facebook...). Try it. It will suck you in, even if you don't (gasp!) like Cracker or Camper.

What does this have to do with Naked? Well, a couple of days ago I threw in Blood & Pride: The Lost Dizzyland Sessions, a four-song EP that never got released. As I drove down the nocturnal highway, I was overtaken with chills. I had forgotten just how great a band Naked was (and I mean that as a fan - not as the guy who started the band). I decided to start a sort of Naked retrospective blog, to at least give Naked some of its due. Albeit posthumously.

No comments:

Post a Comment